Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Treats

It's been more than two months since I gave up sugar and I'm going strong. I love the way that I feel. I've been sleeping better, my skin is clearer, and I managed to avoid the strep throat that brought down Babyface and My Heart's Desire.  My palate has also changed and I'm able to appreciate the sweetness of foods like carrots and grapes.

Until I gave up sugar, I didn't realize how much I used sweets as treats.  Dipped cones, brownies, pie, cake, those were the things I wanted as treats.  A clean eating friend says, "Don't reward yourself with food.  You are not a dog." That just makes me feel bad.  I prefer the message below that I saw on Pinterest.

I recently celebrated a personal milestone and was flummoxed when I had to come up with a non-food treat.  I ended up getting a fancy pedicure with a friend during Spa Week and it was lovely. Another time I was in a bad mood, wanted a sweet treat and ended up buying a magazine (I almost never buy single copies of magazines since subscriptions are usually the cost of two newsstand issues).

What are some good non-food treats? So far my free treat list includes: a couple of hours at a bookstore, having someone else do Babyface's bath and bed routine while I lounge, and leisurely reading. Treats with a small budget include buying flowers, a scratchy soap, or registering for a 5K.

If you have any other ideas, please share in the comments.

No comments: