Friday, April 13, 2012

Slow Cooker Homestyle Roast Chicken

I made this roast chicken last week and it was a big hit!  My Heart's Desire liked it even more than I did.  I served it with rice and steamed vegetables.  I found the recipe online (but can't remember where, if this is your recipe, send me a link) and increased the spices since I find so many slow cooker recipes really boring.

Slow Cooker Homestyle Roast Chicken
Ingredients:
1 Whole chicken, neck and gizzards (and anything else in the chicken) thrown away


Seasonings:
1 T kosher salt
1 T paprika
1 T onion powder
1 T Italian seasoning
1 t thyme
1/8 t cayenne pepper
1/2 t black pepper

2 T crushed garlic
1 quartered onion

Mix the spices together and rub it all over the chicken, inside and out.  Add the garlic and onion and put it in the chicken.  Put the chicken in the slow cooker, breast side up.  Do not add liquid!  Put the lid on and cook on high for 4-5 hours or on low for 8.  I always use the thermometer to make sure the chicken is fully cooked.  5 hours on high and it was amazing!

The chicken fell apart when we took it out of the slow cooker.  It was so good!  It was also good as leftovers (or as my mom says, it's so good we're having it twice) and as chicken salad.

1 comment:

Minda T. said...

We love this recipe! Making it again tonight. Thinking of you, Babyface and Darius - really miss you guys. xoxo Minda