Tuesday, October 15, 2013

October 15

Today is Pregnancy and Infant Loss Remembrance Day.  Last year a very dear friend had a stillborn son. I have never been heartbroken for someone before. The loss has changed her profoundly. It's so hard to talk about. What I do know is this: Her baby will be remembered and loved.

The saddest book either of us will ever read, Empty Cradle, Broken Heart: Surviving the Death of Your Baby, was tremendously helpful.  It helped her deal with her grief and it helped me to understand what she was going through much better and be a supportive friend.  I have probably started hundreds of sentences with the phrase, "The book says.."

On his birthday this year, I made a donation to help the important research of the Global Alliance to Prevent Prematurity and Stillbirth in his name. Though I haven't mentioned this on the blog before, Babyface was born prematurely.  Even though he is two years and three months old, when I talk about it or even think about it very much, I burst into tears.

On October 15, people are invited to light a candle at 7 pm in their time zone and let it burn for at least an hour. The result is an international wave of light that lasts for 24 hours in remembrance of the babies who died during pregnancy or shortly after birth.

In America, stillbirths occur in 1 out of every 160 pregnancies.  For more information, visit March of Dimes.  For pregnancy loss, stillbirth, or early infant loss support, visit Share Pregnancy and Infant Loss Support.

No comments: