Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Cleaning the Crock

You may have gleaned that I am a slow cooking enthusiast.  Sometimes when slow cooking, the crock can get kind of, well, icky.  With all of those slow and low hours of slow cooking, sometimes things get stuck on.  I used to scrub and scrub and scrub... Until I realized the crock could clean itself.  Eureka (in the kitchen)!

Just put some baking soda (I haven't measured, maybe a tablespoon or two) in the crock, fill it up with water past the stuck on food, and set the timer for an hour on high.  Voila!  The food falls away all by itself.  If it's still caked on, just add more time and walk away.  And if you forget about it, it's no big deal because the dirty crock is not going to go bad.  Just remember not to abruptly change the temperature of the crock.  I just dumped out the dirty water, left in the sink, and put it in the dishwasher in the morning.  

No comments: