Monday, May 6, 2013

Bargain Day: Cloth Diapers

Before Babyface was born, I was convinced that cloth diapers were the way to go. However, in the hospital they used Pampers Swaddlers. The stripe that turns from yellow to blue when wet changed my mind. Especially when he was younger and not sleeping all that much. 

I've been spending $40 (Target brand) to $80 (Pampers) a month on disposable diapers. In addition to the price, they are no friend to the environment.  Yes, there is a cost to doing all the extra laundry.  The cost of doing cloth diaper laundry averages around $125 per year to use the washer and dryer.  Line drying is even less expensive.

I recently received an abundant supply of FuzziBunz cloth diapers and inserts from a generous mom that had some to hand down.  So the initial cost to me was $0.

It's been a few days and so far, so good.  I'm still using disposable overnights for overnight since he wears them for so long (12+ hours).

I do so much wash anyway it's not much trouble to do an extra load every day or so.  We'll see how it goes with the hippie baby. I already like not having to spend so much on disposable diapers or send them to the landfill.


No comments: