Friday, June 21, 2013

Not becoming my mother & other things she taught me

I came across Ruth Reichl's .Not becoming my mother & other things she taught me in the audiobook section of the library. I laughed at the title and checked it out.  This very short book explored her relationship with her mother and her mother's relationship with her mother.  Through correspondence and lists, Reichl learns more about her mother as a person beyond being her parent.  She does not pull any punches when she discusses her family dynamics and expectations, work, relationships, motherhood, mental illness, and the roles of women in society.

I thought it was okay. Several women who wanted to know what I was reading, upon hearing the title of the book, said they wanted to read it too.  It's so very short (the hardcover is a mere 128 pages) it won't take long to read.  If you check it out of the library. let me know what you think.

No comments: