Friday, June 14, 2013

3 Ingredient Slow Cooker Applesauce

When apples were on sale for $.88/lb, I decided to make slow cooker applesauce for Babyface.  How hard could it be? Not at all. It was a breeze.  It will be a long while before I pay for applesauce again. 

3 Ingredient Slow Cooker Applesauce
8 medium sized apples (I used Red Delicious)
2/3 cup water
1 t pumpkin pie spice

I cored the apples and cut them up into chunks.  I left the skins on since all the good stuff is in there.  I tossed them in the crock with the water and pumpkin pie spice and mixed it up with a wooden spoon.
Then I cooked it on low for 7 hours or so.  When I first took the lid off, it smelled like autumn. It seemed like it was too watery but as it blended, it became the right consistency. 

Then when it cooled, I blended it.  Please note: if you put something hot in the blender, it will expand very quickly as it blends.  And make a terrific mess.  Um, I heard.  I blended it in two cup increments.  It made about about 5 cups.

I stored some of it and froze the rest in freezer bags.  The trick with freezing anything in a bag is to freeze it laying flat first.  That way you have nice, easy to store bags that fit vertically rather than an assortment of bags with lumps. 

The applesauce was a big hit with Babyface.  I gave it to him with some homemade chicken livers for a very messy meal. 

No comments: