Thursday, June 27, 2013

10 Minute Dinner: Chilaquiles

In 1999, my mom and I went on vacation to Puerto Vallarta, Mexico.  We stayed at a wonderful B&B and one morning we were served chilaquiles for breakfast, which I had never had or even heard of.  They are basically breakfast nachos and so very delicious!  I do have an authentic recipe that includes chopping, dicing, and de-seeding. When I need dinner on the table quickly, it won't do. So I came up with this fast and tasty version.
10 Minute Dinner: Chilaquiles
When I do my meal planning, I plan anywhere from 10-30 dinners in advance.  I always make sure to have the ingredients for chilaquiles on hand since that is my backup meal.  If my dinner is a disaster or the power went out and the slow cooker meal is no good, I can have this on the table in 10 minutes.

10 Minute Dinner: Chilaquiles Ingredients:
1/2 can enchilada sauce
1/2 can petite diced tomatoes
Salsa
Mexican blend cheese
Sour cream
Guacamole
Eggs or Egg Beaters
Tortilla chips
Black beans (optional)
Spices for black beans: garlic powder, onion flakes, and cumin

Combine a half can of enchilada sauce with a half can of petite diced tomatoes in a deep pan and heat on medium high.  Freeze the other halves together and a bag and you will have chilaquile sauce for next time.  At the same time, put some salsa in another pan and get it nice and hot.

If you'd like to use black beans (I usually do, just was out this time), heat them up on the stove with garlic powder, onion flakes, and cumin.

When the sauce is nice and hot, put the tortilla chips in it briefly.  Then use tongs to pull the hot chips out of the pan and put on a plate.  Cook the eggs or Egg Beaters in the pan with the hot salsa.  I usually scramble the eggs since that's the fastest method, but over easy is great too.

Place the eggs on top of the sauced chips, add black beans, sprinkle with cheese, and add dollops of sour cream and guacamole.  Voila!  Dinner is ready.

No comments: