Monday, September 30, 2013

Healthy Soft Serve (Really!)

Even though I gave up sugar, I still need to have sweet treats sometimes.  So I make healthy cookies with even more nuts instead of chocolate chips.

A clean eating friend told me he loves his Yonanas machine.  After looking at it online, I thought it sounded great.  One Bed, Bath & Beyond coupon later, it was mine.
All you do is put frozen bananas and/or other frozen fruit into this machine and it comes out the consistency of soft serve.  Voila! My Heart's Desire enjoys it and we told Babyface that it was ice cream.

Pros:
It really is that easy to make.  I've tried it with bananas alone, bananas with a little peanut butter, bananas and strawberries, bananas and mixed berries, and bananas, pineapple, peach with a little unsweetened coconut.  Good, great, great, okay, good.  The consistency is what makes it perfect.  I used to put these same ingredients into my mini food processor but I also had to add milk. And all of that harsh chopping killed my first mini food processor.  It's a very healthy dessert and very satisfying.

Cons:
It seems like the equivalent of one banana ends up stuck to the parts inside.  And if you want it, you have to take the whole thing apart and scrape it off the different parts.

It is also extremely difficult to get really clean.  I have no idea why, since all of the parts are plastic, except for the metal blades.  When I wash it by hand, it never really looks clean.  And when I toss it in the dishwasher, a lot of dishwasher schmutz gets stuck to it and I have to wash it by hand.  I've tried soaking, washing it right away, and really scrubbing with a bottle brush. If you have a trick for getting this clean, I'd be all ears.

Conclusion:
Altogether, I'm loving it.  And since I pay 49¢ per pound of bananas, if one has to be sacrificed, it's not a big deal.  It's delicious, easy and fast to make.

No comments: