Sunday, January 22, 2012

Pasta Yum

I was talking to a friend about easy weeknight dinners, and Pasta Yum immediately came to mind. It’s so good and really fast to make. My mom gave me the recipe, which my brother shared from Vegan Yum Yum. Though the ingredients are strange, together it is amazing.  Just don't let anyone watch you make it.

The sauce does not keep well, so there's no making a batch and using a little here or there. While this will produce leftovers, they're not as good as fresh. So if you're making it for two people, I'd halve the recipe.

Ingredients:
1 box pasta (I like fusilli or rigatoni, but whatever you have is fine)
½ - 1 bag of frozen broccoli
A handful of sun-dried tomatoes (if you don't have any, it's fine without)
1 cup soymilk (I use plain)
1/3 cup cashews
¼ cup nutritional yeast (buy in bulk section at hippie store or Whole Foods, since you need so little)
3 T low-sodium tamari or soy sauce
2 T margarine (or butter, if not making vegan)
1 heaping T tahini
1 T lemon juice
1 t mustard
½ t paprika
1 pinch nutmeg
2-4 cloves of garlic (I use jars of crushed garlic or the tube of pureed)


Directions:
Put the water on to boil and gather all of the ingredients.

While pasta cooks according to instructions on box, put everything from soy milk - garlic into the blender and blend.
When the pasta is almost done, toss in the frozen broccoli. If you're crazy about broccoli like I am, toss in the whole bag, otherwise half a bag is fine.
Drain pasta and broccoli, and toss the sun-dried tomatoes in the colander so they get warmed too.
Put the pasta, broccoli and sun-dried tomatoes back in pot, stir in sauce from blender, and serve immediately.
 

No comments: