Tuesday, January 31, 2012

2012 Goals: January Update

January has been a great getting started month.  I like having concrete goals so that I know how I'm doing.  I am feeling more like myself more and more.

Writing
1) I did not do a submissions mailing this month. That will have to happen in February or March.
2) My goals was to blog at least three times a week.  With 9 posts this month, I'm short.  The more I blog, the more I have to blog about. If there's anything you want me to blog about, just let me know in the comments.

Healthy
3) I did log all my workouts and found my thoughts shifting from, "I don't have time to do a full workout so I'll wait" to "Even a short workout is good stuff" and that helped change my mindset from not having enough time to workout to fitting in workouts when I can.  I've been a little discouraged about how slow I am.  This is kind of silly, but to remind myself that I have fitness achievements to be proud of, when I need a boost I wear my sneakers that have the tag from when I participated in the Philadelphia Half Marathon.

I prefer to workout in the morning but have been taking opportunities for workouts wherever I find them. I went for walks, outside and on the treadmill, did Yoga, and strength training (free weights and resistance bands).  My goal for the month was 20 workouts and I logged in 16.  I woke up with a cold over the weekend so I wasn't able to get in the last 4.  Still, I feel good about getting in 16.  In December I probably worked out 10 times.

Romance
4) My Heart's Desire and I did go on a date.  It takes a lot more effort, energy, and planning to go on dates since Babyface was born.  We did hire a sitter and went out on a Saturday afternoon.  Yes, afternoon.  I get up so early with Babyface that an evening out wouldn't be fun.  My Heart's Desire and I had a leisurely late lunch at his favorite restaurant and it was really nice.  We could have eaten anywhere and I would have been happy.  Unless Babyface is sleeping, it's hard for My Heart's Desire and I to sit down together and share meals. 

Community Service
5) I am collecting food to make a donation.  We went to Costco and got some peanut butter, tuna fish, pasta, and other good stuff.  Now all I have to do is put it together and drop it off.

Parenting
6) I am continuing to take parenting classes.  Our small group has been together since September and it's been wonderful to connect as mothers and to see all of the babies (all of them were born in June and July) grow together.  The teacher is an expert in infant movement and really encourages us to let babies learn in their own way and in their own time.  It's really helped me not stress out about milestones. 

2 comments:

Paulette said...

Thanks for this post Amina. I really appreciate how you consider what worked and what didn't, and celebrate the small changes. Yay you!

Amina Hafiz Sarraf said...

Thanks, Paulette. I do feel like I'm starting over yet again. I have nowhere to go but up!