Thursday, April 22, 2010

Happy Earth Day!

I participated in the Earth Day 5K last weekend and did much better than my first race. I was 4th to last! I ran/walked and though it was a chilly day, I had a lot of fun.

Since today is Earth Day, I've been thinking all the ways that I'm environmentally friendly.

• Turn the lights, TV, computer off when I leave a room
• Take canvas bags shopping
• Joined local CSA
• Shop at the hippie store, where I can buy items in bulk
• Use refillable water bottles (have a Brita tap filter on the kitchen sink)
• Use dishwasher rather than wash dishes by hand
• Replace paper napkins with cloth for most meals (I've also got my eye on some adorable cloth napkins to take to work)
• Eat lots of meatless meals (one of my 2010 goals is to eat vegetarian food 90% of the time)
• Use Tupperware rather than plastic bags for food storage
• Donate used clothes and household to Goodwill
• Buy used books and check out books from the library
• Call catalogs I don't want to get off the mailing list
• Take short showers (the water heater does not provide much)
• Recycle metal, glass, plastic, and paper
• Wash all laundry on the cold cycle
• Hang sheets, towels, and most clothes on the line instead of using the dryer
• Use cool hippie wool dryer balls (use instead of fabric softener to make clothes soft and static-free)
• I just got the Method ultra concentrated laundry soap

My Heart's Desire unplugs kitchen appliances that we are not using, uses rechargeable batteries, plants flowers, veggies, and plants in our yard and in containers, and replaces burned out light bulbs with fluorescents.

No comments: