Thursday, April 24, 2008

Bare Naked Finger

In my cubicle this morning, I glanced down at my furiously typing hands and noticed I wasn't wearing my wedding ring. My finger looked bare and strange without the thin, platinum band. I married My Heart's Desire last April Fool's Day and have just the beginnings of a mark around my ring finger. It felt so weird not having it on. I'm used to wearing it almost all the time and definitely when I am out in the world.

Several times during the day I caught myself noticing that it was missing. With my thumb I rubbed the skin that's usually hidden by the ring. I felt like my hand was lying to me by withholding the evidence that I am married.

On my way home from work, I found my ring in the coin holder of my car, where I had put it this morning for safekeeping while I put hand lotion on on my way to get blood drawn. I slid it over my knuckle and into the groove, where it belonged.

2 comments:

Mardell said...

Wow, so glad you didn't lose your wedding ring... but what I really want to know now is if you fainted when you got your blood drawn?! ;)

Elissa said...

I left my band next to a weight machine at the gym about 6 months ago. The women who turned it in saw me frantically looking for it - and KNEW that it was mine. You can't come home without a wedding ring:)