Monday, April 21, 2008

On the Metro today

I love people-watching on the Metro. Particularly when I'm not traveling during rush hour and can see the people who are going wherever in the middle of the day. Today I saw a few interesting characters.

First, there was the older gray-haired gentleman wearing a three-piece suit and reading the Examiner. When he finished his paper, he folded it up and then proceeded to sigh loudly, attracting my attention even with headphones on. (I was listening to the Extra Cheese playlist today). Then he whipped out a pair of nail clippers and trimmed each of his nails, leaving the trimmings scattered on the carpet below. Where could he have been going that demanded immediate grooming?

Next, there was the youngish yuppie that stood in the back by the door, kind of obscured by the sleeping teenager that was wearing a knitted baseball cap. He was rocking out to his iPod in the mostly empty train car. When he thought nobody was looking, he proceeded to play air guitar on his slightly over sized messenger bag. It was awesome to watch. Yuppie. Air guitar. Messenger bag. I see a bar game in the future...

Last was the Metro DC cop, who was decked out in full police regalia with that kind of severe facial expression that is very bad boys, bad boys, whatcha gonna do when they come for you? I saw him when I first got on the car, he was in the only spot on the car where nobody could come up behind him. Anyway, he had on the full uniform and jacket and when he finally got up to leave, I noticed he was carrying a tiny Scooby-Doo backpack.

No comments: