Thursday, January 24, 2013

Rice Cooker Oatmeal

We eat a lot of oatmeal around here.  I like my oatmeal made with old fashioned oats, water and 1% milk (two parts water, one part milk) and a big spoonful of chunky peanut butter.  I've already shared how I make Babyface's Favorite Breakfast but when it comes to making breakfast for myself, I must admit my stove is no stranger to a boiled over mess.  I probably do that at least once a week...

I was mulling over how to make my breakfast (without boiling it over) and keep it hot until I am ready to eat it.  And so, I put everything into the rice cooker, pushed the button down, and voila!

Ingredients:
1 cup water
1/2 cup milk
3/4 cup oats
1 spoonful of peanut butter

The only difference between oatmeal made in the rice cooker or the stove is the peanut butter.  On the stove, the PB melts into the water/milk and every bite has pretty much the same amount of peanut butter.  In the rice cooker, the peanut butter stays on the bottom, giving some bites more PB than others.  It's delicious either way.

I've also made Babyface's oatmeal in the rice cooker and it turned out well.  All I can say is that my kitchen appliances are working for me!

No comments: