Saturday, April 28, 2012

Crockless

When trying new recipes in the slow cooker, I've found they are either terrible, boring, or awesome.  Last weekend My Heart's Desire made orange chicken in the slow cooker that was so bad it was inedible.  He followed the recipe exactly (he is a very precise cook, unlike me) but it was just blech.  I soaked the crock and then put it in the dishwasher, as usual. 

When he pulled the crock out of the dishwasher, he found the inside finish is buckling and peeling.  We joked that the orange chicken was so bad it revolted even the crock.

I just got the slow cooker for Christmas so it can't be worn out.  I called the manufacturer and they are sending me a new one for the cost of shipping.  I'm really missing it. 

In the meantime, I'm making quick dinners like frozen ravioli with Trader Joe's marinara jazzed up with onions, garlic, and mushrooms.  I'm going to make some white chili this weekend and freeze it to eat later in the week. 

UPDATE: The manufacturer sent me a new slow cooker (the whole thing, not just the crock) in exchange for shipping costs and the plug of the old machine.

No comments: