Friday, June 11, 2010

Furiously Walking

On Saturday morning I participated in the Susan G. Komen Global Race for the Cure® with Allison, a colleague/friend. The other members of Furiously Walking couldn't make it, due to a plumbing emergency and a bridal shower (she was the bride!).

My fundraising goal was $500 and I exceeded it! All of my donors rocked, and I wrote their names on my bib. On race morning I had $510 and I received two donations after the race, raising my total to $560. Altogether, Furiously Walking raised $615. While fundraising, I was touched by how many people have been affected by breast cancer. Every dollar donated made a difference to fight breast cancer. The event raised more than $4.5 million to fund breast cancer programs for women in need throughout the National Capital Area and abroad.

I met Allison at the Bethesda Metro at 7:15am, and it was standing room only, mostly filled with other race participants. When we got to the Mall, it was a sea of pink as far as the eye could see. More than 40,000 people were there! Many of the groups had humorous names, like Walkers for Knockers, Save the Tatas, and Bosom Buddies. Along the route were the "I Am The Cure" cheerleaders, with contagious enthusiasm.

The sheer number of breast cancer survivors, wearing pink shirts and bibs, was really overwhelming. So many women - grandmothers, mothers, wives, sisters, and friends of all ages all wearing pink. The survivors also got a special medal when they crossed the finish line.

We took this photo after about two hours of walking in the heat. The race was more emotional than I expected and I am really glad we did it!

No comments: