Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Old-Fashioned Popcorn

Last night My Heart’s Desire and I made popcorn the old-fashioned way. With corn and oil on the stove. I have never made popcorn this way before – just air popped and microwave.

Someone gave him this popcorn pot (has a lid and an arm that sweeps the kernels around so they don’t burn) when he was a bachelor. It’s been in our kitchen for years and it just seemed like too much trouble.

Well, last night we were out of microwave popcorn. So we broke out the pot, oil and corn!

It was 1/3 cup kernels and 1 tbsp of oil over medium heat and it didn’t take long before the kernels were popping away. It was more trouble than microwave popcorn but it only took about 5 minutes. We added a little butter and some salt and enjoyed.

The main difference? The taste. Wow! It was good! I actually said to My Heart’s Desire, “I didn’t know this was how popcorn was supposed to taste.”

Even the cheap microwave popcorn (which you know this thrifty girl buys) is nowhere near as inexpensive as this. We’ll be popping on the stove a lot more often.

No comments: