Sunday, September 20, 2009

Commandment #9: Complain less, compliment more

This commandment is something that I've been working on for a while. It's definitely a challenge for me to let go of stuff that's bugging me and not complain to everyone who will listen - especially when I feel like I've been wronged.

Here's the thing that I've realized (and hence created the commandment): it doesn't matter. And nobody cares. In the long run, will I remember the details of feeling annoyed? Nope. And complaining is not how I want to spend time with my friends and family.

It's hard not to complain to My Heart's Desire though because we are around he each other so much. But he's a great example of how to act - he lets 99% of annoyances roll off his back. "Ah, what are you gonna do?" is something I hear from him a lot.

I've been consciously trying to complain less - not always succeeding but being mindful about it. Also, when I feel like complaining, I make sure to really listen to the person I'm talking to and asking follow-up questions and just forget about the whatever it was.

Compliments cost me nothing to give and can really let someone else know the good things I think about them. I think nice things about people all the time but it's taking the additional step to tell them that makes the difference.

No comments: