Sunday, September 7, 2008

You like-a the mozz?!

I took my own free advice: Try new things, even if you’re scared.

As mentioned previously, Animal, Vegetable, Miracle has been changing the way I think about food. I have been going out of my way to go to the organic store and to the local Farmers Markets, which are plentiful and bountiful. Despite the fact that I’m running out of Diet Coke, it’s going pretty well. Last week I ordered a cheesemaking kit so that I could try and make my own cheese.

Today I came home from the organic market with a gallon of whole milk and proceeded to follow the pretty simple directions. My Heart’s Desire and I measured, dissolved, heated, stirred, drained, microwaved, stirred, and salted the milk for about half an hour. Then we had fresh, warm mozzarella cheese! It was delicious. I ate some while it was still warm. Then we made a pizza (olives, sun-dried tomatoes, and onions on my half, just onions on My Heart’s Desire’s half) and used our homemade mozzarella to top it. It was a dairy delight.

No comments: