Tuesday, April 1, 2014

April Fools: 5 Things I Learned

My Heart's Desire and I married on April 1, 2007.  Happy Anniversary to us!

April fools in love

Here are 5 things I learned on our wedding day:

1. Things you didn't plan for can be a favorite part of the day.
About two hours before our wedding, the DJ called and told me that he couldn't play the song I wanted to walk down the aisle to.  So we went back and forth, me asking do you have this song, no, do you have that song, no, no...Finally I asked if he had "Can't Get Enough of Your Love" by Barry White.  He did and played it while I walked down the aisle.  I was afraid that if I walked down the aisle and saw people looking tearful that I would lose it.  When I walked down the aisle to Barry White, everyone was laughing.  I loved it.  And it's one of my favorite memories.

2. Roll with it.
Sometimes things go awry and you've just got to roll with it.  My wedding day mantra was: whatever happens, happens.  So I was able to stay cool.  I laughed when the limo driver got lost on our way to the ceremony.  We got there late but they weren't going to start without me!

3. Eat
MOH steals fries
I read in one of my myriad wedding books that it's important to eat before the wedding.  The hair and makeup people arrived around 7am and I didn't have breakfast. So at 11 am on my wedding day, I had a cheeseburger and fries.  Of course there was plenty of food at the wedding but I knew it would be a whirlwind (see below) and I might not get a chance to eat.  My Heart's Desire did not eat before the ceremony, had barely a chance to nibble, and to this day brings up how hungry he was on our wedding day. He loved the food at the tasting and was looking forward to having it again.

4. Time goes by so fast.
Our wedding day was one of the fastest days of my life.  Some things I can remember crystal clear, others are a blur.  Time seems to have sped up since I got married and even more so since Babyface was born.

5. Before the event is important too.


Excited > nervous
On the morning of our wedding day, My Heart's Desire texted me to remind me to take my allergy medicine. I loved holding hands with my family and BFF and saying a prayer before we left for the ceremony.  My sister helped me put my veil on properly. And of course eating the cheeseburger!
Prayer













What did you learn on your wedding day?

No comments: