Friday, August 9, 2013

(You won’t believe they're) Vegetarian Tacos

For many years I have been a flexitarian.  Lately I've been including even more meatless meals into my repertoire.  I made these tacos for the first time and was surprised that they turned out to be excellent!  I didn't tell My Heart's Desire they were veg and after dinner, he told me he was glad I was using real meat.

Ingredients:
Olive oil
1/2 c chopped onion (of course I use frozen)
1 box Smart Ground
1 can petite diced tomatoes
1 can black beans
2t minced onion
1/4t chili powder
1/2t crushed red pepper
1t seasoned salt
1t cumin
1t garlic powder

These are very easy to make.  Heat up the olive oil and cook the onion.  Add the Smart Ground and break it up thoroughly.  If you're not familiar, it's protein crumbles that are the same texture as ground meat.  I find them with the other hippie foods in the produce section. Let the Smart Ground cook for about 5 minutes.

I rinse off the beans to reduce sodium then toss them in the pan with the remaining ingredients.  Then stir, stir, stir. Add 1 c of water and turn the heat up until it boils.  Turn the heat down and let it simmer for a little bit.  This makes a pretty big batch of (non) meat.

Delicious vegetarian taco salad
We ate it for dinner as tacos.  Then I had it another time as a taco salad, My Heart's Desire ate it as a tostada, then as taco nachos.  Babyface had it for dinner and liked it as well. We added cheese, sour cream, salsa and guacamole but if you eliminated the dairy toppings you'd have a vegan meal.

No comments: