Thursday, September 27, 2012

Slow Cooker Pulled Chicken

I planned to make my Slow Cooker Homestyle Roast Chicken yesterday.  Even though I took the chicken out of the freezer on Sunday morning, it was still really frozen inside.  I did have some mostly thawed chicken breasts I was going to bake the following day.  So I decided to make really easy pulled chicken for last night's dinner.

In addition to chicken, I used just three ingredients: liquid smoke, BBQ seasoning, and garlic.

I rubbed the chicken with the seasoning and put it in the crock pot.  I added big tablespoons full of garlic and liquid smoke.  Then I covered the chicken in water.  Easy like Parcheesi.
I slow cooked it on low for 6 hours. My crock has a warm setting so I didn't have to worry about getting to it as soon as it was cooked.  After Babyface fell asleep, I poured out the water and shredded the chicken with forks.

Then I poured in some barbeque sauce and mixed it all up with the tongs.  These tongs are great for a lot of reasons and they don't scratch the crock. 

I served the pulled chicken on rolls.  It would also have been good on a roll or regular bread.  The sandwich pictured doesn't have very much sauce, which is the way My Heart's Desire likes it.  He also put a slice of cheese on top.  He'll put cheese on anything that will hold still.
We ate these sandwiches with a bag of steamed veggies.  It was fast and good, a great combination for a weeknight dinner. I froze the leftovers and will eat them some other night I really don't feel like cooking.

No comments: