Sunday, October 17, 2010

Mama Said

When I was in high school, I was surprised when my boyfriends (aged seventeen or eighteen) would be interested in playing video games with my little brother, who was then eleven or twelve. At first I thought they were just trying to get in good with the family by being nice to my little bro, then I realized that they were geniunely having fun.

My mom told me then that some guys, no matter what their age, are just big boys. The last three books I listened to proved her point.

Jonathan Lethem's Men and Cartoons: Stories wasn't my favorite. Some stories were clever "The Spray," being the standout. The rest of the stories were uneven. I was midly amused by You Don't Love Me Yet, which could best be described as lad lit with a touch of Details magazine. 66-67/100

The Way Home by George Pelecanos takes place in and around D.C., features a middle-class teenaged boy who lands in a reformatory for juvenilles, and when he comes out, he's not still a boy but definitely not a man. Overwritten and tedious, I only finished listening to this book because I couldn't get to the library. 68/100

No comments: