Tuesday, August 3, 2010

On Writing

In January, my writing group decided to read On Writing by Stephen King, which is one of my favorite writing books. My copy was a gift from my mom.

In 2007 I got it from the library and listened to it (on a road trip to Gettysburg for a friend's wedding) but haven't read it since. Even though my writing group hasn't gone back to it yet, I wanted to give it another read.

King advocates four to six hours a day of reading and writing, every day. Which sounds about right, given Malcolm Gladwell's 10,000 hour rule. 20 hours a week for 10 years is 10,000 hours.

I'm a big reader and always have been, I've easily read more than 20,000 hours as an adult. But writing? That's a different story. I wrote that much for the three years I was in my graduate creative writing program, but not since. I write for work, but for me that doesn't count since it's professional writing. This book definitely put a bee (and a clock!) in my bonnet. 56/100

No comments: