Sunday, January 31, 2010

2010 Goals: January Progress

I set some pretty specific goals for 2010 so I wanted to check in with a monthly update to see progress.

1. I've read 9 books so far this year, which is right on target for the month. 100 books a year is 8.3 books a month and so far I am on the right track. In addition to the 9 books I read, I also started and didn't finish about 5 more. I didn't realize how many books I put back down.

2. I met with my awesome writing group in January and we are on track for another meeting at the end of February! It is great to connect with them and see where we all are. For our February meeting, we are assigned to read Stephen King's On Writing, which is one of my favorite writing books. I'm glad for the opportunity to revisit.

3. Submit... This I have not done yet.

4. Blog regularly — this I am doing. This is my 17th post of the month, right on target by happy coincidence. I'm always surprised when someone tells me they read my blog. An acquaintance made my fave roasted cauliflower and a colleague told me she liked the baby wipe idea.

5. I have not participated nor even signed up for any races as of yet. It's way too cold (it's snowing hard as I type!) to consider doing this now. I do get emails with information about local races and am considering several choices for spring.

6. I get an A+ for eating vegetarian 90% of the time in January. I did great on this! I definitely need to expand my cooking repertoire, I tend to make the same things over and over and am getting sick of them. I have some good cookbooks and am also considering a cooking class. On Sunday I made a clean eating tuna noodle casserole from scratch (was very impressed with myself) and it looked good. Too bad it tasted like glop! It was the second-worst thing I've ever made, though My Heart's Desire did bravely try it. I think he wanted to tell me it wasn't that bad, but really, it was.

7. Trying new things is harder for me than I thought it would be. I did go to a new restaurant with My Heart's Desire and some friends.

8. Seeing friends. This month I had coffee with a friend, brunch to celebrate my mentor, lunch with a friend, My Heart's Desire and I had dinner with couple friends, and we took friends out to dinner to celebrate their engagement. The crepes brunch was postponed due to horrible weather but I'm confident we'll see each other soon. I also took my honorary Jewish grandmother to the movies, which I love to do.

9. F-u-n was had with My Heart's Desire! I got us cheap tickets to see a comedian at a local dive, and it was fun. I haven't seen live comedy since I moved to DC, which might surprise you since I like laughing. We dinner with some couple friends (see #7 and #8) then laughed at the show. It was great to do something fun together.

10. Photo taken of My Heart's Desire and I? Not even close.

No comments: