Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Thrifty Girl Report - April

I really needed to get my hair done in April. I usually pay $156 (including tip) for cut and color.

I decided to color my own hair for $10. I was a bit skeptical but it turned out all right. Basically I color it dark brown (the color it pretty much already is) and hide last year's highlights. It won't last as long as salon color, but that's okay.

My Heart's Desire has a cousin who is a hairdresser that we saw recently. She gave me a haircut gratis, though I insisted on giving her $40. It's a great cut. She even swept up the hair! And she caught me up on family gossip.

Hair cost savings: $106

While I was in Los Angeles, my BFF took me to get our nails done at a shop in Santa Monica that does cute mani-pedis for $20. I splurged and got a French manicure for an extra $5. Including tip, it was $30. At the place I go to here, it's $84 (including tip) on Bargain Mondays. Suffice it to say I don't get my nails done a lot.

Gorgeous mani-pedi savings: $54

I also bought six months of O magazine for $1. A year is $18. I love to read magazines when I go to the gym. I don't let myself read them any other time (except for Newsweek, which I have to stay on top of because it's a weekly and I'm always a week or two behind and Real Simple, 'cuz it's my favorite).

Magazine savings: $9

I use the grocery store savings card every time I shop, which saves me around 25% off the bill. I read in Consumer Reports that the store brand is usually the best deal, so I go with that a lot. My Heart's Desire prefers the "real" brand but I'm the one who usually goes to the market.

Grocery store savings: A lot, need to use coupons more for bigger $$

No comments: