Sunday, January 25, 2009

Three Jerk Rule

I've been told that if you come across three jerks in one day, that you are, in fact, the jerk. It's not the other people that are the problem, it's your attitude.

And today, I was a jerk. This afternoon I was behind a few terrible drivers (very frustrating) and I was very annoyed at people in the crosswalk (they had the right of the way but I thought they didn't). Ugh, jerks! I realized then that I was, in fact, the jerk.

So I had to give myself a few minutes to adjust my attitude and take deep breaths. I also considered #2 of my 2009 Commandments: Be Kind. With a few minutes of contemplation and breathing, I was able to let go of the frustration and start over. I had given myself plenty of time to get where I was going and did not have to drive like I was going to win something. Amazingly enough, on the way home I didn't see a single jerk.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

that's a good way of looking at the situation. I'm going to remember that next time I come across a bunch of jerks all in a row!