Sunday, December 28, 2008

2008 Greatest Hits

Books
Middlesex
by Jeffrey Eugenides (I know this book was huge a few years ago but I was reluctant to read it until now)

This Charming Man by Marian Keyes


What is the What by Dave Eggers

Local Getaway
Trip to Philadelphia to see the Frida Kahlo art exhibit and eat cheesesteaks

Family Visit
Meeting My Heart's Desire's 97-year-old Great-Aunt in Florida. She's a pistol. I love how she just says whatever she thinks. And she made us fried hamburgers on buttered English Muffins.

Strangest vegetable we got from the CSA
Kohlrabi, or as My Heart's Desire called it, The Alien Baby Head


Thrift
Retail Me Not

Surprise
How many of my girlfriends (3!) got engaged this year

New Tradition
Monthly Tuesday night dinner with some of my favorite girls

Birthday Party
One of my girlfriends celebrated at the bowling alley, followed by cake and pizza. Super fun!

Flowers
The ones My Heart's Desire sent for our April Fool's Day wedding anniversary

New Food I Tried And Don't Have to Again
Moon Pies

Long-Running Gag
The small rubber chicken My Heart's Desire put in my birthday pinata, which we take turn hiding in places around the house where the other will find it. Endless amusement.

Guilty Pleasure
Watching CSI

Used Bookstore
Friends of the San Antonio Public Library


Afternoon Playing Hooky
(tie) Leaving work early to watch Vicky Christy Barcelona with a girlfriend

Spending the afternoon with my Mom and honorary grandmother having lunch at Levante's then catching a matinee of Happy-Go-Lucky

Earliest Birthday Celebration
6:15 am in Falls Church

Dreaded Experience... That Wasn't So Bad
Root Canal (I really expected it to be much worse)

Fancy cake at party celebrating family weddings


Breakfast
Huevos Rancheros at Guapos

Best Brunch
Firefly at the Hotel Madiera

Perfect Summer Evening
Having a picnic on the lawn with friends at Wolf Trap, dancing to the Gipsy Kings under the stars

Hotel
Fairmont Turnberry Isle

3 comments:

Elissa said...

Nice year you had:)

Anonymous said...

Amina, Happy to hear that you liked Middlesex. It's been on my bookshelf for a while, too, but I have been resisting it. When things are too hyped, it turns me off. I'm running out of books on hand (as opposed to on hold at the library!) so I think I'll tackle it soon. Miss you!

Amina Hafiz Sarraf said...

Hype turns me off too. I bought the book for two quarters at the San Antonio library used bookstore and figured if I hated it, I could leave it at the hotel. Instead, I loved it. My mom read it too -- I definitely got my $.50 worth! xx