Monday, January 20, 2014

TV Free Weeknights

My Heart's Desire and I usually watch TV after Babyface goes to bed.  Between On Demand and Netflix, we sit down to watch a show we like.  However, once we get cozy and under the blankets and start laughing, it's hard to turn the TV off.  Since I went back to work, it's been challenging to do all of the things that I want to do. I started feeling like all that TV watching was a bad habit.
$1 lunchbox

After dinner is when I make sure I am prepared for the next day by packing lunches/snacks for Babyface and me, prepping the next night's dinner (if it's my night to cook), have my workout clothes and grown up costume are ready to go, etc.  And since I rise well before daybreak, my evenings are already pretty short since I go to bed early. 

Last week (unbeknownst to My Heart's Desire),  I instituted a TV free weeknight experiment.  I was able to get so much more done during the evenings.  I had a nice chat with a faraway friend, created a photo calendar for my dad's birthday, and got a good amount of reading done.  I didn't feel like my evenings were so rushed.  I also went to bed earlier and that made my mornings more pleasant.  On Thursday night we did watch one show, at his insentience, then I turned the TV off. 

Here is my January 2014 goal: Do anything on worknights besides watch TV. 

I have a bunch of projects that I've had on the back burner, including updating Babyface's baby book and crocheting a baby blanket for a child (before she's old enough to crochet herself). I love reading and like to be able to read without falling asleep in the middle of the page.  

2 comments:

Sarah said...

I am such a fan this idea! It's so smart, and actually so easy once you start doing it! (And so, so much easier to stop doing it too, unfortunately.) I too have been making this effort lately, and I think it's starting to pay off. I see so much more accomplished on your average evening now. Now if only we can eliminate the backsliding, right? Like all your tips!

Amina Hafiz Sarraf said...

Thanks, Sarah! It's way too easy to sink into our mismatched but ultra-comfy chairs (we don't have a couch, we have two comfy chairs like Joey and Chandler)and watch Netflix. Not only do I get more accomplished in the average evening, I'm doing things I WANT to do. Glad you like my tips, I'll check out your site.