Saturday, July 25, 2009

Area Book Lover Disappointed


Local woman and voracious reader Amina Hafiz has been sorely disappointed with her latest reads.


The Crowning Glory of Calla Lily Ponder was just "too fluffy" according to Hafiz, who claims to enjoy a beach read now and then.

She wanted to like The Pretend Wife, but the plot was so thin it was not enjoyable. "I can't believe I finished that book," she stated.

Hafiz's highest hopes were on Best Friends Forever, and while it had some endearing qualities, it was merely the story of a caper. Of course the formerly overweight heroine (all of Weiner's heroines struggle with weight in some way) ends up happily ever after in a nontraditional way. Sigh.

Commencement got great reviews, but Hafiz found the characters stereotypical and flat. And the role of extreme feminism seemed to be a morality tale, a warning post-college grads. "I found the message of this book to be that paths for women after college graduation are slim, feminism is dangerous and that The Gray Lady can make an overly-sentimental, poorly written book a bestseller," Hafiz said.


2 comments:

Krista said...

Amina, I stumbled upon a good read at the library. If you like historical fiction, try Rashi's Daughters by Maggie Anton. Book One is Joheved, Book Two is Miriam, and I haven't researched if there is a Book Three, but I hope there is, or will be. I just started Book Two, so can't vouch for it, but Book One was very good. I hate it when a book is disappointing. Thanks for the reviews.

Amina Hafiz Sarraf said...

Thanks, Krista, I will give these books a day in court! Sorry for all the bummer reviews, I guess I got a bad batch of books.