Saturday, November 8, 2008

Television

I think of myself as someone who doesn't watch a lot of TV. That could be because I don't like most of the stuff that's on it. And I watch the shows that I like (Dexter, True Blood) either On Demand (I wanna give a big kiss to whoever invented it) or get the whole season from Netflix (Ugly Betty, Desperate Housewives). Sometimes I'll watch Dirty Jobs, Bizarre Foods or Good Eats, but that's about as much as I enjoy.

My Heart's Desire, on the other hand, is someone who has at least one TV on if he is at home and awake. Sometimes I'll come home and he'll be in the kitchen and have the TV on downstairs and in the living room. For him, it's background. For me, it's annoying. He regularly falls asleep on the sofa with the TV on.

We eat a lot of dinners in front of the TV. And we can be sucked in to spending entire weekend afternoons on the couch watching one DIY show after another. The first show is okay but after that it can feel hard to motivate to do something else.


I've happily lived without cable for years and lived in our house without it for a few months. The weekend after My Heart's Desire moved in we had cable. He doesn't like living without it. When we were looking for ways to save money, I suggested 86ing the cable. He'd rather live without hot water.

We both enjoying staying at Bed & Breakfasts. And one of the reasons I like it so much is because they often don't have TV sets. At first I can tell it's strange for him, but then we find something else to do. I also always bring games, cards, and (if I remember) Mad Libs. More than just a getaway for us, it's also a vacation from the TV.

1 comment:

Elissa said...

May I HIGHLY recomend gifting your heart's desire with Noise-Cancel headphones? This is life-changing.