Sunday, April 14, 2013

Slow Cooker Pesto Chicken and Mushrooms

This recipe is so good I didn't have time to take a picture of it before dinner.  A friend gave me the original recipe and I modified it slightly. The very best thing about this meal is the taste.  The second best thing is that it can cook fast if you are in a hurry, like I was recently.  I forgot to put it in the crock until 4:45 and we had dinner at 7:00.  And it was good. 

Ingredients:
Crushed garlic
Diced onions (of course I use frozen)
1 container pesto (I used Classico because it was on sale)
1/3 c chicken broth
1 box fresh, sliced mushrooms (I prefer the sliced baby bella, but any mushroom works)
4-6 chicken pieces, boneless, skinless chicken breasts or chicken thighs or a combination of breasts and thighs

Put all ingredients in slow cooker and mix well.  Cook on low for 3-4 hours or on high for 2-3. I always use the probe that came with the slow cooker to make sure it's cooked to the proper temperature.  Then serve over pasta.  I put it over angel hair (what we bought at Costco) and sprinkled a little Parmesan on top.  

All of the flavors really come together nicely in the slow cooker.  It's really, really easy.  If you can open jars and make pasta, this dish is a delight for the taste buds.   It's one of My Heart's Desire's favorites.  He thinks it tastes even better the second day.  

No comments: