Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Mediocre books, or, I could have had a V8

Recently I've read a couple of books that I really wanted to like, but didn't. The Friday Night Knitting Club was lent to me by my honorary grandmother, and she didn't like it either. We both found it incredibly cheesy and not very well developed. I really liked the premise and I tend to like books about women (particularly inter-generational friendships) but this was worse than a Lifetime movie. Really, I could have had a V8.

The Spare Wife I got from the library and I would have been furious if I had paid for it. I liked Alex Witchel's Me Times Three but this book was almost impossible to get invested in the flat characters or care one way or the other if the scandal broke. It didn't. Maybe the fact that I kept falling asleep while reading it was a sign...


Next on my reading list are Billie Letts Shoot the Moon and Andre Dubus III House of Sand and Fog. I got these at the library book sale for $1 (yes, I wrote a check) and am looking forward to reading them. I almost bought Shoot the Moon at Target the day before, but I refrained and saved $11.

No comments: